Undergraduate Advising Information and Assistance
Undergraduate students who are enrolled in, or are considering enrollment in, the Labor and Human Resources B.A. or B.S. programs (formally Labor and Employment Relations) should contact Katelyn Perry or Kristie Kalvin for advising. Any questions about minors in the School of Labor and Employment Relations can be directed to Sheila Lieb.
Due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, there is currently no in-person academic advising. Individual advising appointments can be made online via Starfish. Not sure about how to make an appointment with Kristie or Katelyn? Follow these easy steps:
- Log into Starfish and click on Services.
On the far right of the page, you will see a small search box under your name.
- In the small search box, type “Perry” to see Katelyn’s availability or type “Kalvin” to see Kristie’s availability.
- Click on the Members tab—and you should see Katelyn’s photo or Kristie’s photo.
- Select the adviser with whom you wish to meet in order to view available appointment times.
- When you schedule an appointment, you will be provided with the Zoom Room link you will use for your advising meeting.
- Access the undergraduate forms you may need for your advising appointment.
For quick questions, students are also welcome to connect with Kristie and Katelyn during their weekly Virtual Drop-ins which are held on Wednesdays, 10:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:00pm. To participate in drop-in advising on Wednesdays, students should go to dropins.la.psu.edu to sign in.
Learn a little more about Katelyn...
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Master of Science in Counseling/Higher Education Emphasis
I started my career in higher education as an instructor at a community college. I had excellent mentors there, and I learned a lot in that position. One of the most important things I discovered was that evaluating academic work became much less interesting to me than supporting students as they pursued their goals. I enjoyed listening to their personal stories and learning about their struggles and successes. With that in mind, I began to work on a graduate degree in counseling.
The first job I applied for after I completed my Master’s degree was a professional advising position in the Crime, Law, and Justice Department at Penn State. I’ve been an adviser in the College of the Liberal Arts for 20 years now, and I still find working with students to be satisfying, unpredictable, and fun. In many ways, advising students feels like the thing I was meant to do.
Having lived in both Japan and Turkey, I like learning about cultures other than my own, and I think I’ll always have the travel bug. I’ve spent time in Greece, Spain, Hong Kong, Thailand, France, Singapore, Morocco, and Taiwan. My husband and I have a son; all three of us love animals and are volunteers at PAWS, a local animal rescue organization. I enjoy movies, music, vegetarian cuisine, Death By Chocolate ice cream from the Creamery, and annual family vacations in Cape May, NJ.
Learn a little more about Kristie...
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts and Sciences, Penn State University, 2012
- Master of Education in Counselors Education, Penn State University, In Progress
I have been working with undergraduate students at Penn State for the past fourteen years, with the majority of time in the College of the Liberal Arts. It was through my job within the College that I developed a love for Liberal Arts disciplines. Areas of study such as Women’s Studies, Communication Arts and Sciences, Criminology, Anthropology, History, Philosophy, and others opened my eyes and have ignited a lifelong love of learning. Research and scholarly journals make me practically giddy, which I blame on the amazing classes I’ve taken here at Penn State! I love being a student, and also very much have a passion for working with students. Needless to say, I am extremely happy in my capacity as an academic adviser. Though I am a recent alumna, I wasn’t able to keep myself out of the classroom too long. Currently, I am pursuing a Master’s degree in the College of Education for counseling.
In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my two lovely daughters, family, and friends. I am a runner, love to read, and attending any type of live music event (festivals or concerts) is one of my favorite things to do.
Other Advising Resources
- Liberal Arts Undergraduate Studies Office
- Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS)
- Liberal Arts Career Enrichment Network
- Career Services
- Global Penn State (for study abroad)
- Undergraduate Bulletin
- General Education Courses
- University Faculty Senate Policies for Students
- Office of the Registrar (includes course schedules)