5 Year BS in LER/MS in HRER IUG Program
Earn a B.S. and M.S. in Five Years
The Integrated Labor Studies and Employment Relations B.S. and Human Resources and Employment Relations M.S IUG. program is designed to allow academically talented baccalaureate students to obtain both the B.S. in LER and the M.S. in HRER degrees with five years of study.
IUG students must complete a minimum of 36 graduate credits. Twelve graduate-level credits can apply to both the undergraduate and graduate degree; six of these must be at the 500 level. Students must also complete either a Master’s Research Paper or a Master’s Thesis. Students choosing the Thesis option must complete 6 thesis credits (HRER 600) which may not be double counted.
Openings in the integrated B.S./M.S. program will be limited to highly talented undergraduates.
Requirements for admission include:
- Applicant must be enrolled in Penn State's LER B.S. program.
- Applicant must have completed 60 credits of the undergraduate degree program when they officially apply for the M.S. (it is suggested that students apply to the program prior to completing 100 credits).
- Applicant must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale) in undergraduate coursework and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major.
The application for admission to the IUG program must include the following materials, all materials need to be uploaded within the Graduate School application:
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A writing sample
- A letter of intent explaining the student’s academic and professional objectives
- An approved plan of study (to be determined in consultation with the student’s undergraduate advisor and a representative of the graduate committee and to be signed by both)
- A completed graduate school application (Please mention in the notes section that you are applying to the IUG.)